[OZAPRS] HF Mobiles or about to become HF Mobiles?

G T & C A Beagley beagley at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jun 20 19:14:27 EST 2004

Brian and others.

I am beginning to suspect poor antenna sytems are not the problem with
HF APRS. I hear a lot of signals here suffiently strong that they should
decode but they won't. I suspect it has a lot to do with the quality of
signal being transmitted. Also being spot on frequency helps.
VK3MY and a few others are decoded virtually all day every day. W1UP is
quite regularly decoded. ZL3RX is nearly always decoded when he's on
30m. Most others are rarely decoded yet are just as strong. Your sigs
(VK4BBS) are decoded sometimes and usually more than most. Antenna is a
trapped dipole.
As yet I havent tried any TNC other than my DSP2232 but am hoping to try
a soundcard soon when I have some spare time and see how it compares.

Graham

ZL1GTB

Brian Beamish wrote:
> Hi
>
> Wish I had a decent antenna system here so that I could decode those
> weaker HF APRS stations that I am hearing in the back ground and see
> where they are.
>
> Was just wondering if both VK5AH-15 and VK2KCM-15 were thinking of
> becoming mobiles as their SSID of -15 would indicate such but both are
> currently showing "Home" Icons? One a green Home HF Icon and the other
> the standard yellow Home icon.
>
> As mentioned above I am hearing some weaker stations here maybe even ZL
> but personally can not decode them I wonder if others are?
>
> B C N U
> Brian VK4BBS

G T & C A Beagley
24 Blomfield St