[OZAPRS] VKAPRS-IS Status Update

Geoff ggatward at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 17 16:51:40 EST 2004

Folks,

There have been a few changes performed to the VKAPRS-IS core servers
aprs.net.au and second.aprs.net.au today.

aprs.net.au:
This been experiencing two seperate issues that have been causing it
to 'dissappear' from time to time.
One is occasional DoS (Denial of Service) attacks, which flood the ports
with
garbage preventing legitimate data to pass.
The other is an internal problem that causes the box to run out of TCP
resources, requiring a restart to the javAPRSsrvr server (rare).

The first issue is tricky to resolve, however we have taken some steps to
prevent this from happening again.

The second issue is being monitored. We have a new script in place that
monitors for this situation, and will automatically restart the server if
the
number of resources begins to get too low (hopefully before it completely
dies).

second.aprs.net.au:
This box has been running reliably for several months. It has been
upgraded
to the latest version of javAPRSsrvr today, and appears to be behaving
well
so far.  If there are no problems seen over the next few days, the same
software will be installed on aprs.net.au as well.

If there are any issues (especially with second) please let me know.

Regards,
Geoff  VK2XJG