[OZAPRS] VK3 APRS Network status

Richard Hoskin (VK3JFK) vk3jfk at amsat.org
Thu Jun 3 21:36:51 EST 2004

Hi All,

With the licensing of the latest VK3 digipeater VK3RLE-1 I though it would
be a good time to provide a status of the full VK3 APRS Network.

The VK3 APRS network has grown to 20 Digipeaters, 6 IGates 2 HF Gates and
1 SatGate.

This system covers approximately two thirds of Victoria’s major roads and
population centers as well as selected areas of southern NSW and South
Eastern SA.

Here is a brief summary of the network as it is today.

VHF Wide Area Coverage Digipeaters:

(Wide Area Digipeaters are designed to cover a radius of approximately
80Km to 100 Km)

VK3RAW-1 – Albury/Wodonga

VK3RGR-1 - Wangaratta

VK3RLE-1 – Lake Eildon

VK3WRM-1 – Mildura & NW Vic

VK3CV-1 – Greater Melbourne & Geelong

VK3HAP-1 - Bairnsdale

VK3RGI-1 - Sale

VK3RMD-1 – Eastern Melbourne Area

VK3ZV-1 - Moe

VK3RMK-1 - Wedderburn

VK3RBU-1 - Ballarat

VK3RPG-1 – Western Victoria

VK3RBH-1 - Bendigo

VK2RO-1 - Tocomwal

VK3RMG-1 - Yea

UHF Wide Area Coverage Digipeaters:

VK3MY-2 – Eastern Melbourne

VHF Relay Only Local Area Digipeaters:

(Relay Only Digipeaters are designed to cover a radius of approximately
20Km to 30 Km)

VK3UAJ-1 – Yarra Junction

VK3HJQ-1 Tallangatta

VK3YWY-1 - Kyneton

VK3XJB - Shepperton

VHF IGates:

VK3SB – States TX/RX IGate

VK3HAP-1 – RX IGate

VK3JFK  – RX IGate

VK3JTM-5  – RX IGate

VK3WRM  – RX IGate

UHF IGates:

VK3FRS-10 - States TX/RX IGate

HF Gates:

VK3MY-4

VK3WRM

SatGates;

VK3JTM

Digipeater Maintenance;

VK2RO-1 has recently been fixed. New coax was installed replacing the coax
damaged by several bird strikes.

VK3RGI-1 has a fault in its radio receiver which is currently being
repaired and should be back in service soon.

VK3RMD-1 has had a new power supply installed.

Plans for the future include VHF network expansions to the North West to
cover more of the Calder Highway to Mildura as well as any other
opportunities should they arise. For HF we are investigating options for
40mtrs to fill in holes that 30mtrs does not cover due to lack of gateways
in appropriate areas of VK2 & VK5 which would provide coverage for VK3.

This is in keeping with our objective to provide APRS coverage for major
roads and population centers in VK3.

Cheers

Richard

VK3JFK