[OZAPRS] APRS NODES?

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Tue Jun 8 19:55:52 EST 2004

>I notice a number of NODES in ZL. Can someone explain, what an APRS NODE
is?

I think that the definition offered by Graham, ZL1GTB, was a fair
interpretation.

My offering is to define it as - a multi port (RF) station that is not
acting as an i-gate.

I use the node symbol on my home station, and it is exactly as I defined
it above.  One of my RF ports feeds data to an i-gate, so I believe the
node description is valid.  We are multi port to cover say local, linking,
space (ISS etc) and HF.

>So I assume from this a "node" is a more than a single frequency
>digipeater?  Is the digipeater UI only?

The simple answer is yes and yes.

>We don't see them in VK as we (almost) all operate on one frequency.
>I can't understand why ZL is not on one single frequency? It seems very
>fragmented to me.

Our concept is that we try to use the same frequency in all our population
centres, at least in the way of handling traffic from mobiles who need to
be able to drive about without frequent changes.  But we use different
frequencies (say a duplex data repeater) to link those centres.  What we
want to avoid at all costs is to have store-and-forward digipeaters all on
the same frequency and within range of each other - ie the way the USA
system is set up with 11,000 digipeaters all on the same frequency and
with many in same coverage area  is a no-no to our way of thinking.

However bear in mind that the ZL situation is a combination of geography,
population density, and numbers of users.  What suits us may not suit
others.

Noel, ZL3GR.