[OZAPRS] APRS NODES?

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Fri Jun 4 20:12:03 EST 2004

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 22:32, Tony Hunt wrote:
> Ron. The useage of the NODE symbol is interesting. I am pretty sure it
came
> from the original thought of trying to express a NET/ROM type node like
BPQ
> or X1J or DigiFlex etc. A packet switch which may or may not be a Digi
for
> APRS as well.

I'm aware of of the Netrom, BPQ, ROSE packet type nodes. I'm just trying
to get my head around what I see on the map as a Node.

> Ive seen operators that have IRLP running using this symbol as an object
> with a description of their IRLP node info etc. The IRLP boxes are
called
> Nodes as well.. Its been misused of recent times for sure. The symbol
for
> Nodes was thought of well before IRLP was. Some operators today have
little
> idea what the difference is between a network switch/node is and a APRS
digi
> it seems as well..

True.

The answer to my question on askgeeves
What is a Node?

(1) In networks, a processing location. A node can be a computer or some
other device, such as a printer. Every node has a unique network
address, sometimes called a Data Link Control (DLC) address or Media
Access Control (MAC) address.

(2) In tree structures, a point where two or more lines meet.

Which, if (1) is taken literally, every APRS station is a node. :-/
But would (2) any make more sense?

I've come to the conclusion that a Node in APRS could be any of the
packet nodes above, multiple (or single) frequency, or a cross port APRS
UIdigi, or an "access point" to a network, like IRLP or similar.

Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv