[OZAPRS] SSIDs

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Thu Jun 3 19:20:17 EST 2004

Below is a cut'n'paste from
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/SSIDs.txt

---snip----
APRS SSID Defaults                                             20 Feb
2004

Since there are 20,000 APRS users on the air, the APRS maps and data can
get very cluttered.  Also, most operators have multiple stations on the
air, such as their HOME, CAR, BOAT, and HT.  It is very convenient to be
able to recognize these typical applications at a glance.  Here are
those
common defaults:

 -6  is for Operations via Satellite
 -7  is for TH-D7 walkie talkies
 -8  is for boats
 -9  is for Mobiles
 -11 is for Balloons
 -14 is for Truckers

Originally, in 1992, the first APRS GPS mobiles just transmitted raw
NMEA-0183 GPS stings and so there was no way to insert a SYMBOL byte in
the pre-formatted NMEA 183 packet.  Hence we defined 14 common SYMBOLs
as defaults to the 14 available SSID's that a mobile could use.  These
included BIKES, HELOCOPTERS, AIRCRAFT, VANS and many others in addition
to the ones above.

In the late 1990's we came up with a better solution and defined the
AX.25 TOCALL of GPSxyz for such use.  In this case, the "xyz" characters
can be used to define any of the hundreds of APRS symbols including
Overlays.   Just look up the xyz in the SYMBOLS.TXT file included in all
copies of APRSdos (or these days, on the WEB).

Since this GPSxyz concept was so powerful, it completely replaced the
original SSID assignments and so it was removed from the Documentation.

However the convention for the 6 most useful ones remains and should be
used in the absesnce of any other overriding conditions.  One reason
for using the -6 for Space applications is so that the global APRS
WEB data bases will keep statistics and data for when you are operating
throug the satellites separate from when you are working normally.

So stick to the standards above for the obvious applications...

de WB4APR, Bob
---snip---

It seems that puts Brian up in the air.:-)

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 17:22, G T & C A Beagley wrote:
> Why not stick with the original SSID table protocol?

Why not?  It puts a big dent in the VK1/2/3/5 network of 2M digipeaters
on -1. And there is a VK guidelines that has been generally accepted and
followed, and generally follow those published by Bob B.

Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv/vk3wrm

=

~

> The character after the latitude "N/S" in an APRS position report is a
TABLE
> [...]
> /<  MT  Motorcycle     (SSID = 10) \<  NT  ADVISORY
> /=  MU  RAILROAD ENGINE            \=  NU
> />  MV  CAR            (SSID = 9)  \>  NV# NUMBERED CAR
> /?  MW  SERVER for FIles           \?  NW  INFO Kiosk  (Blue box with ?)
> /@  MX  HC FUTURE predict (dot)    \@  NX  HURICANE/Trop-Storm
> /A  PA  Aid Station                \A  AA# NUMBERED BOX
> /B  PB  BBS                        \B  AB  Blowing Snow
> /C  PC  Canoe                      \C  AC  Coast Guard
> /D  PD                             \D  AD  Drizzle
> /E  PE  EYEBALL (Eye catcher)      \E  AE  Smoke
> /F  PF                             \F  AF  Freezing rain
> /G  PG  Grid Square (6 digit)      \G  AG  Snow Shower
> /H  PH  HOTEL (blue bed symbol)    \H  AH  Haze
> /I  PI  Tcp-Ip                     \I  AI  Rain Shower
> /J  PJ                             \J  AJ  Lightening
> /K  PK  School                     \K  AK  Kenwood
> /L  PL  avail                      \L  AL  Lighthouse
> /M  PM  MacAPRS                    \M  AM
> /N  PN  NTS Station                \N  AN  Navigation Buoy
> /O  PO  BALLOON        (SSID = 11) \O  AO
> /P  PP  Police                     \P  AP  Parking
> /Q  PQ  TBD                        \Q  AQ  QUAKE
> /R  PR  REC. VEHICLE   (SSID = 13) \R  AR  Restaurant
> /S  PS  SHUTTLE                    \S  AS  Satellite/Pacsat
> /T  PT  SSTV                       \T  AT  Thunderstorm
> /U  PU  BUS            (SSID = 2)  \U  AU  SUNNY
> /V  PV  ATV                        \V  AV  VORTAC Nav Aid
> /W  PW  National WX Service Site   \W  AW  NUMBERED NWS site (NWS
options)
> /X  PX  HELO           (SSID = 6)  \X  AX  Pharmacy Rx
> /Y  PY  YACHT (sail)   (SSID = 5)  \Y  AY
> /Z  PZ  WinAPRS                    \Z  AZ
> /[  HS  Jogger                     \[  DS  Wall Cloud
> /\  HT  TRIANGLE   (DF)            \/  DT
> /]  HU  PBBS                       \]  DU
> /^  HV  LARGE AIRCRAFT             \^  DV# NUMBERED Aircraft
> /_  HW  WEATHER Station (blue)     \_  DW  NUMBERED WX site (green digi)
> /`  HX  Dish Antenna               \`  DX  Rain
>
> /$  XYZ LOWER CASE SYMBOL TABLE    \$  XYZ SECONDARY SYMBOL TABLE (\)
> --  --- -------------------------  --  --- --------------------------
> /a  LA  AMBULANCE     (SSID = 1)   \a  SA  ARRL ARES etc
> /b  LB  BIKE          (SSID = 4)   \b  SB  Blowing Dust/Sand
> /c  LC  tbd                        \c  SC  NUMBERED Civil Defense
(RACES)
> /d  LD  Dual Garage (Fire dept)    \d  SD  DX spot by callsign
> /e  LE  HORSE (equestrian)         \e  SE  Sleet
> /f  LF  FIRE TRUCK    (SSID = 3)   \f  SF  Funnel Cloud
> /g  LG  Glider                     \g  SG  Gale Flags
> /h  LH  HOSPITAL                   \h  SH  HAM store
> /i  LI  IOTA (islands on the air)  \i  SI  Indoor BOXn digipeater (w
> overlay)
> /j  LJ  JEEP          (SSID-12)    \j  SJ  WorkZone (Steam Shovel)
> /k  LK  TRUCK         (SSID = 14)  \k  SK
> /l  LL  avail                      \l  SL  Area Locations
(box,circles,etc)
> /m  LM  Mic-Repeater               \m  SM  Value Signpost (3 digit
> display)
> /n  LN  Node                       \n  SN# NUMBERED TRIANGLE
> /o  LO  EOC                        \o  SO  small circle
> /p  LP  ROVER (puppy)              \p  SP  Partly Cloudy
> /q  LQ  GRID SQ shown above 128 m  \q  SQ
> /r  LR  ANTENNA                    \r  SR  Restrooms
> /s  LS  SHIP (pwr boat)   SSID-8)  \s  SS# NUMBERED SHIP/boat (top view)
> /t  LT  TRUCK STOP                 \t  ST  Tornado
> /u  LU  TRUCK (18 wheeler)         \u  SU# NUMBERED TRUCK
> /v  LV  VAN           (SSID = 15)  \v  SV# NUMBERED Van
> /w  LW  WATER station              \w  SW  Flooding
> /x  LX  xAPRS (Unix)               \x  SX
> /y  LY  YAGI @ QTH                 \y  SY
> /z  LZ                             \z  SZ
> /{  J1                             \{  Q1  Fog
> /|  J2  reserved (Stream Switch)   \|  Q2
> /}  J3                             \}  Q3
> /~  J3  reserved (Stream Switch)   \~  Q4
>
> AREA SYMBOLS!  You can define BOX/CIRCLE/LINE or TRIANGLE areas in all
> colors, either open or filled in, any size from 60 feet to 100 miles.
> Simply move the cursor to the location, press HOME, move the cursor to
the
> lower right corner of the AREA and hit INPUT-ADD-OBJECTS-AREA.  Enter
> the type of area, and color.  NOTE that AREA shapes can only be defined
> by selecting the upper left corner first, then the lower right second.
> The line is an exception.  It is still top to bottom, but the lower
point
> can be to the left of the beginning point.  Further, in the line option
> you may specify a "width" either side of the central line.
>
>     These AREAS are useful for real-time events such as for a
search-and-
> rescue, or adding a special ROAD or ROUTE for a special event.  Be
cautious
> in using the color fill option, since all other objects in that area
that
> occur earlier in your PLIST will be obscured.  AND you do NOT know the
> order of other stations P-lists.
>
> AREAS FORMAT: The new format for specifying special areas uses the
CSE/SPD
> field to provide the additional information as follows:
>
> $CSE/SPD...  Normal Field description
> lTyy/Cxx...  Where:  l (lower case L) is the symbol for "LOCATION
SHAPES"
>                       T is the Type of shape:  0=circle, 1=line,
2=elipse
>                                                3=triangle 4=box
>                                                add 5 to these =>
color-in
>                       C is the color from 0 to 15.  For colors geater
than
>                         9, the / is replaced with a 1.
>                      yy is the sqroot of the latitude offset in 1/100ths
>                      xx is the sqroot of the longitude offset
>
> These offsets are ALWAYS positive to the right and down, except for the
> special case of a lower right quadrant line, these are given the Type of
> 6 and are drawn down and to the left.
>
> HURRICANES, TROPICAL STORMS and DEPRESSIONS:  These symbols will be
> differentiated by colors red, yellos, and blue.  Additionally a radius
> of Huricane and also Tropical storm winds will also be shown if the
> format detailed in WX.txt is used.
>
> SYMBOLS ON MAPS!  APRS can also be permanently embedded in maps.  To
embed
> a symbol in a map, simply make the first four characters of the label be
> # followed by the dual symbol character, followed by a hex number from 1
> to F that indicates the color for the symbol.  The remaining 8
characters
> can be used for a conventional label at the same location.  An example
are
> the VORTAC nav-aids in Alaska.  The Anchorage VORTAC appears as ANC on
all
> maps below 128 miles. The label entry is #\VFANC,LAT,LONG,128.
>
> VALUE SIGNPOSTS:  Signposts display as a yellow box with a 1 to 3 letter
> overlay on them.  You specify the 1-3 letter overlay by enclosing them
> in braces in the comment field.  Thus a VALUE Signpost with {55} would
> appear as a sign with 55 on it.  This was designed for posting the speed
> of traffic past speed measuring devices.  They can be used for any
> purpose.
> But to avoid cluttering the map, they ONLY appear at 8 miles and below
> AND they do not show any callsign or name.  Only the yellow box and the
> 3 letters.  Select them from the OBJECT menu under VALUE...
>
> Graham
>
> ZL1GTB
>
> Ron Perry wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 10:46, Brian & Maureen wrote:
> >
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>I am easy what ever as long as if it is at all possible that we all
can agree on SSIDs and stick to them where ever possible.

> > IMHO it's up to you Brian, what SSID you want to use.
> >

> >>Being the first and only for quite some time regular HF APRS Mobile
operators Des VK4DMI and I chose -11 for HF mobiles we both are only too
happy to change to what ever is agreed on by the majority which I hope
means everyone.

> > It really doesn't matter if your the first or last Brian. The
guidelines
> > are there, if you wish you use the SSID of -11 for HF (or what ever
> > reason) then do so. It is within the guidelines.
> >
> > I see that Larry VK4CLM is using -9. This is correct SSID.
> > The guide says -9 for mobiles. IMHO it does not matter if it is on HF
or
> > VHF.
> >

> >>I do not quite understand what you mean by secondary mobiles I presume
like VK4AGS you are perhaps running a couple of cars with APRS, if so do
we really need a seperate SSID for them, maybe maybe not?