[OZAPRS] SSIDs

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Tue Jun 1 11:29:41 EST 2004

Hmm,
When I replied, I expected it to go to the list, not Brian only.
Feed back welcome.

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 08:57, Brian Beamish wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I am thinking that it would be good if we could all agree on SSIDs for
both
> VHF and HF use.

The guidelines below were posted on Tue Apr 8 10:20:28 EST 2003.

----snip----

I did publish a guide on SSIDs some time ago which basically stated the
VK guide for SSIDs.

As the document was lost in a HD crash (no I didn't back it up) I'll
write here what I can  remember. This was adopted by VK3, VK2 and I
think VK5 sometime ago.

SSID		Use
-----		----
-0		Home Station, Home Station running IGate.
-1		Digipeater, Home Station running a Relay Digi, Wx
Digipeater
-2		Digipeater on 70CM
-3		Digipeater
-4		HF to VHF Gateway
-5		IGate (Not home station)
-7		Kenwood D7 HH
-9		Mobiles
-12		Portable Units such as Laptops etc.

The reason for the allocation was to allow easy recognition of pivotal
APRS network devices without the need to decode the APRS packets. Also
with the use of the Icon and a SSID it is easy to identify a
mulit-funtional station such as a Wx station that is also running a
Relay digipeater or a Wide Digipeater that is running a Wx station etc.

The remaining SSIDs where free for generally use.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK

---snip--

> At present for example I am using VK4BBS with no SSID for my home
station,
> an SSID of -10 if I ever take my portable APRS station out when I am
walking
> and for mobile both VHF and HF I use an SSID -11

Perhaps you need to, as VK3BYD and VK3UAJ are, use -9 for VHF (as
published in the guide) and -11 for HF.  I'm wondering why you chose -11
for mobile use?

> If one looks at a map of Australia for example you may see VK4BBS home
> station indicating a green icon HOME Station on on occasions
particularly
> when VK4DMI-4 is down as a gateway. But when mobile I could be on either
or
> perhaps soon both VHF and HF both using an SSID of -11 how do you know
> looking at the map if I am on HF or VHF.

Just looking at the map you can't, but if if you select details, the
path usually gives some indication.

> I believe that we have, great to see, standardise with a SSID of -4 for
HF
> Gateways can we perhaps come up with an agreed SSID for VHF and HF
mobiles
> say -11 for HF and -9 for VHF I guess we could come up with a range of
> different SSIDs for arrange of circumstance but initially it would be
great
> to know if the mobile I am seeing appearing on my map is on HF or VHF.

The guidelines are already there. We only need guidelines, not
standards.

> I like to track individual stations more so the HF ones when they appear
> from time to time on my map but not knowing which is which for all I
know
> what I think maybe a HF station is actually in fact a VHF one using
> different SSIDs would fix this.

Yes, it's good to see a HF mobile on the screen. Mind you, the only
mobiles I see on my VK3WRM screen are direct via HF, or local via a digi
on VHF.

> Just a suggestion.

Umm..as far as I can tell, Brian, you are the only mobile on VHF on -11.
There are a couple of other stations using -11, one for a weather
station, one for a node.  (What's a node in APRS terms?)

It is up to the operator to choose to follow the guide lines (or not).

Questions to the group.
Perhaps -11 needs to be added to the guide for HF mobiles?
IMHO no. If -9 is used for VHF then the any other SSID can be used. And
as all the HF mobiles use -11 now, thta's fine too.

Also, do weather stations need a separate SSID?  Hmmm..I'm still think
about this one, but I don't think so. Why complicate matters? :-)

Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv/vk3wrm