[OZAPRS] SSIDs

Brian Beamish bbeamish at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 1 08:57:13 EST 2004

Hi Folks

I am thinking that it would be good if we could all agree on SSIDs for
both VHF and HF use.

At present for example I am using VK4BBS with no SSID for my home station,
an SSID of -10 if I ever take my portable APRS station out when I am
walking and for mobile both VHF and HF I use an SSID -11

If one looks at a map of Australia for example you may see VK4BBS home
station indicating a green icon HOME Station on on occasions particularly
when VK4DMI-4 is down as a gateway. But when mobile I could be on either
or perhaps soon both VHF and HF both using an SSID of -11 how do you know
looking at the map if I am on HF or VHF.

I believe that we have, great to see, standardise with a SSID of -4 for HF
Gateways can we perhaps come up with an agreed SSID for VHF and HF mobiles
say -11 for HF and -9 for VHF I guess we could come up with a range of
different SSIDs for arrange of circumstance but initially it would be
great to know if the mobile I am seeing appearing on my map is on HF or
VHF.

I like to track individual stations more so the HF ones when they appear
from time to time on my map but not knowing which is which for all I know
what I think maybe a HF station is actually in fact a VHF one using
different SSIDs would fix this.

Just a suggestion.

B C N U
Brian