[OZAPRS] KPC-3 firmware for APRS

Terry Neumann tfn at rbe.net.au
Wed Jul 7 18:35:53 EST 2004

G'day Barry and others,

You could check with Ross (VK3MY) as he is (I think) still supplying
Kantronics gear.   If the factory no longer supports eprom upgrades for
this version, I guess the door might have to be opened to other options.

I was able to get an eprom (Version 6 from memory) for the first series
KPC-3 (TCM3105 chip) from an amateur here in VK5 who had some access to
eprom reading and burning facilities.  This was some time ago, and quite
a few things have changed since then.   He may still be able to do this,
but I haven't contacted him for a while.    If you don't get any better
offers, contact me off list, and I'll see what I can find out.

The KPC-3 works OK in this role on 1200 APRS (VHF) - I have used it for
some years now.   Like most late "enhancements" the GPS facility is a
bit of a compromise, but it is quite functional and works well.    Alas
I cannot find the instruction/upgrade sheet which came with my eprom,
but it may come to the top of the pile, and when it does I could send it
to you.

More recently I've switched to a Tiny Track 3  which does much the same
sort of thing but with a few extra enhancements.   The costs of a new
eprom and/or burning one might nudge the budget closer to the cost of a
TT kit anyway - it depends what you have on hand at the present and all
the other factors which determine what the final station will be.

What callsign shall we look out for when you get it all going?

73
Terry
VK5ATN

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 22:04:02 +1000
>From: "akavk3" <akavk3 at austarnet.com.au>
>Subject: [OZAPRS] KPC3 firmware
>To: <ozaprs at marconi.ics.mq.edu.au>
>
>I am new to APRS and I am setting up vhf mobile APRS equipment for my
>vehicle and a home station.
>I have dusted off some unused modems from the shed. There is KPC3s
MFJ1270