[OZAPRS] HF MOBILE beaconing, food for thought.

Tony Hunt wavetel at iname.com
Thu Jul 8 00:31:06 EST 2004

> >As an example I have been mobile for at least 1.5 hours
> >over the past 24 hours beaconing then at every minute
> >if you were to look at findu, at this moment, you would
> >find that the last time VK4BBS-15 was gated was over 24
> >hours ago then by VK3MY-4.

Brian.. Dont beleive everything you see on Findu.. Just because it doesnt
appear on Findu doesnt mean your posit didnt get through on HF .. I see
exactly the same thing on VHF .. There is a bottleneck in the Internet
feed
at times I suspect and Ive raised this before.. Why do you think sending
messages to EMAIL is often not sucsessful even if your logged onto the
internet feed.. Why do you think we started our own VKMAIL server here in
this country.. Yes Findu and EMAIL servers are both half way around the
world from here in the USA ..

The weak link is often the internet which so many people just cant
beleive..
Its allways the HF or the SAT gates nets or the Too many digis that gets
the
blame.. Ive seen it down for hours at a time.. It doesnt just miss the odd
frame here and there..
No I am not talking about our local Igate being down I am talking about
the
connection from the VK servers to the US servers or whatever they are
connected to to find the rest of the world.. They appear to be connected
but
they seem to lose/dump frames alot as well at times..

Ive said it before and I will say it again.. Why cant we have a FindU type
server in VK land instead of this rubber band connection to Findu which is
so far away.. I can raise the points and point out the problems but the
software to fix it is beyond me I am afraid..

I guess theres also this one but I dont know how or where its connected
to..
http://aprsworld.net/

Tony Hunt VK5AH