[OZAPRS] HF Mobile beacon times

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Wed Jul 7 08:38:20 EST 2004

Hi Tony,

The general concessus is to set HF posit transmissions to 10 minutes. I
believe that it should be 15 minutes especially if the number of HF
mobiles
increases. You just need to do the sums.

An average length APRS Posit packet takes 3 to 4 seconds to transmit on
HF.
Assuming a channel efficiency of 30% for ax25 this results in a maximum of
7
stations being able to transmit per minute. At a transmission rate of one
posit per 10 minutes the maximum number of stations that can be in a
single
APRS Gate's coverage area is 70 stations. This will be less as the Net
stations transmit frequently and messages  and/or tuning may be under way
on
the channel. HF Propagation is also an important factor in limiting
station
numbers.

See http://www.aprs.net.au/hf_aprs_information.htm for a Guide to APRS HF
in
Australasia (Note that this web page is still under construction and
requires updating)

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK