[OZAPRS] Off Topic: Linux, Xastir advice needed

John Williams vk5zty at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 29 15:20:16 EST 2004

The lowest end machine that I have used Xastir on is a 486DX2/66 with 16MB
dram using RH6.2
That was using a very very old version of Xastir.  0.3.6 if I remember.

All my other machines are higher spec than the one you intend to run on.
The lowest RH distro I have  the latest version of Xastir running is 7.1.

I am sure I probably upgraded some libraries to make it compile though.

The suggestion Hamish made is a good one. Find a distribution that already
has Xastir as a
package. At least the dependencies will not be an issue. I believe SUSE
and Knoppix for hams
has Xastir available as well as Debian.

As Hamish also mentioned.  Go with a lightweight window manager. You
should have the option
not to boot into X during the install if there isn't a lightweight window
manager available in the
distribution. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

Once you get Xastir going, there are a number of ways to update the
application. You can
download the latest package or if you feel adventurous you can download
the source code and
compile the current versions. Read the information about CVS. Once setup
it makes updating fast
and convenient.

Cheers
John