[OZAPRS] APRS Emergencies

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Wed Dec 22 12:19:35 EST 2004

Hi Andrew,

You send a MIC-E Emergency posit. See APRS Spec.

Test it on low power on a non-APRS channel between 2 local stations.

Who ever is running APRS-Emergency (See my previous email for software.),
WinAPRS, if you look at findu
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/emergency.cgi?last=96 or if you have a
Kenwood
D7 or D700 radio.

There is no formal monitoring or Emergency procedure for APRS in
Australia.
Fell free to write one, we can discuss it and I will put in on the APRS
National web site.

I know of 2 stations that are running APRS-Emergency. I feel that we
should
all run it. This would give a greater chance of someone picking up a
distress call.

I have used APRS Emergency once in a real emergency. With in 2 minutes I
had
enquiries from 2 stations offering assistance (they both had D700's) and
within 10 minutes I had another 3 enquiries, some on the mobile and others
on the local repeater. I was very impressed with the effectiveness of the
system even with no local arrangements in place.

Merry Christmas

Richard VK3JFK