[VK2-APRS] New APRS software - netAPRS - Replaces OziAPRS

Darryl Smith darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri Apr 23 15:42:12 EST 2004

People

Twelve months ago I released OziAPRS - an APRS program to interface to
OziExplorer (www.oziexplorer.com). Since then the program has undergone
many
improvements, but at the same time the OziAPRS internal architecture was
starting to break down as more features were added. Once a new feature got
added, something would break. This is not surprising considering that the
program was only ever intended as a quick demo for a consulting job.

With this in mind it has long been my plan to re-write the software from
the
ground up. I have moved away from Visual Basic 6, and moved to the more
modern VisiualBasic.Net. This has allowed me to significantly improve the
user interface and create a more 'object oriented' program. Internally I
have implemented a packet switching engine allowing packets to be routed
between parts of the software using a unified architecture.

The software not only sends data to OziExplorer, but also to Microsoft
MapPoint. [This feature was added to OziAPRS a few months back]. The
program
will plot the positions for up to 1000 vehicles in OziExplorer, follow one
of automatically with self-centering maps, and Snail Trail 70 of users.

In the coming weeks I will be adding
	* Automatic download from Garmin RINO's [Already a feature of
OziAPRS]
	* Database logging and Playback
	* Serial Port, UI-View and TNC interfaces
	* State saving
	* Polling of field units
	* Documentation

OK, so what are the downsides. Well, many of the features have not been
extensively tested. Some have not been tested at all. And the biggest
issue?
Well, .Net requires most people to download an extra 25 MByte library.
[Well, in reality if you run Linux sometimes you need to download
similarly
size libraries, so there is nothing strange here :-) ].

You can get a copy of NetAPRS from
http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/netaprs.html

If you try it please let me know your comments...

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
www.radio-active.net.au - www.radio-active.net.au\web\tracking

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/ELTolB/TM