[OZAPRS] RE: [ui-view] Removal of the UI-View messageextensionsfromUI-View32

Richard Hoskin lhoskin at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 20 21:38:21 EST 2004

Hi Tony

I don't know the technical reasons why it works better. The tests are
based
on observations and practical experience.

> Although we have discouraged its use here in VK5 as its not compatible
> with
> D7's D700's APRS-Dos etc and some operators have no idea of what a
UI-View
> message is as opposed to a APRS type message let alone the fact that
they
> are sending one (a Ui-View style message).. You also probably remember

I've found that a little user education goes a long way on this subject.

> Ui-Digis are/were not compatible with Ui-View messaging. In earlier
> versions
> of Ui-Digi we had major problems with the digis treating the frames as

As you stated there are problems with earlier versions of UIDIGI.
However the latest version UIDIGI 1B93 works very well with UI-View
messaging. I have upgraded all bar one of our UIDIG Digipeaters to version
1B93.

> It would seem with the evolution of the APRS spec and also various APRS
> clients and software that we need a commonality to be able to send
> messages
> regardless of what software we choose to run.. I can see were Roger is
> comming from..

At the moment we have a chose, the best of both worlds for messaging as
UI-View will currently allow us to select which standard we want to use.
As
previously stated with a little local operator education all APRS users
can
gain the when to use which system. UI-View is also has defaults you can
set
to assist the uneducated.

Cheers
Richard