[OZAPRS] RE: [ui-view] Removal of the UI-View message extensionsfrom UI-View32

Richard Hoskin lhoskin at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 20 19:06:08 EST 2004

Roger,

I disagree with the removal of the UI-View message format and request that
it is kept as part of UI-View in the future.

Here in Australia the main APRS program that 99% of people use is UI-View.

We have been experimenting with ARPS messaging for some time using both
the
APRS standard and the UI-View extensions. We have found that the UI-View
extensions work in a more efficient and reliable manner on our RF Networks
than the APRS standard.

If we send a message to a set path using ARPS standard the message will be
received about 70% of the time an ACK received by the sender about 50% of
the time. Using the UI-View extensions we are finding an increase in
success
to message reception of about 90% and ACKs received by sender of about
80%.

This indicates that the UI-View message system tends to be more reliable
than the APRS standard.

It is also felt that the UI-View message extension system is more
efficient
and faster to communicate with than the standard APRS messaging.

Regards
Richard
VK3JFK

> Unless there is strong opposition, I intend that V2.03 will be the
> last
> version of UI-View32 to support the UI-View "message extensions".
>
> For those who do not know the history of this, UI-View originally did
> not support the APRS message format, but used an entirely different
> format. When I added support for APRS messages, I left in the option
> use UI-View format messages. For several versions of UI-View32 the
> default has been that UI-View format messages are disabled, and there
> is
> a warning not to use them if you try to enable them.
>
> I now think that supporting the UI-View message format has become an
> anachronism, and the disadvantages outweigh any possible advantages.
> APRS is a global network, and there is little point in an APRS client
> having a feature that is not in the APRS spec, and is not supported by
> other APRS clients.
>
> The only thing in the UI-View message format that does not have a
> parallel in APRS messages is the station query - It returns a
> multiline
> message, and there is no similar APRS query.
>
> I am throwing this open for debate, but my mind is at least 75% made
> up
> already...
>
> --
> Roger Barker, G4IDE - roger at peaksys.co.uk
> For UI-View go to - http://www.UI-View.com
> For WinPack go to - http://www.peaksys.co.uk

> Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
Canada.