[OZAPRS] Rig Checks.

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Fri Apr 2 09:58:51 EST 2004

As I said in a brief posting earlier today, I am in the process of running
checks on my own gear.  Having been I guess a bit outspoken (well someone
had to say it!) it was a worry that I may find the error was all at my
end.  Nothing  has shown up (yet!) to get me to run away and hide!  So far
my testing has shown a slight  rig error on 30m, a little more than the
error I had thought I had.  However the total is less than 100 Hz, and
some of it had been previously allowed for.

My testing was done thus - I set my signal generator (unmodulated) at
10.149.200 which is one tone frequency.  The frequency was verified by a
separate counter with a crystal oven and of known accuracy.  I then tuned
the HF rig, set to USB, to put the spectrum trace on top of the 2100 line
on the AGW Tuning Aid.  I repeated this after setting the generator up to
10.149.400, to check the 2300 mark and verify the difference.  I was
limited by the rigs tuning steps which are 10 Hz.  It was easy to see
these steps on the monitor, via the AGW Spectrum display.

The result was the rig dial displaying a frequency of 10.147.19 - shows 10
Hz steps, and of which the 90 Hz was the dial error.

 I still have to tune to 10.147.600 (+ the 90 Hz dial error) in order to
decode the VK stations, who think they are using 1600/1800 tones, by using
here the AGW program which is looking for tones of 2100 and 2300.

In the middle of all the playing, at UTC 21:46, a beacon from VK4DMI-11
Des HF Mobile with a Jeep symbol, popped up on my screen.  Thats a new
one!

With the newfound dial error taken into account by a minor frequency
reset, I feel I am copying VK3MY-3 better than I had previously, although
we are now in the time of day (after 22.30) that the signal strength drops
and I dont now expect to get more decodes until the evening.  Postscript
to that - I have at UTC 23:43 just decoded VK3MY-3.  My tiny retune I
think has improved things here.

For my next act, I will give my TNC the once over.

Noel, ZL3GR.