[OZAPRS] VKMAIL server observation

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Apr 1 16:59:56 EST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:19:34AM +1000, Richard Hoskin wrote:
> The INETZ0 etc is the IGate Zoning system we us in VK3.
> You could look at it in a similar way to a mobile phone cell or a radio
> voting system.
>
> The Zoning system provides good (VK*) internet to RF traffic flow to the
> full RF network while minimising the RF traffic levels.
>
> We have one central Transmitter IGate (VK3SB) for the network and 3
(soon to
> be 4) Receive only IGates placed at selected locations (Zones) around
the
> network.
>
> The theory is that any station will never be more that 2 Hops from a
> Receiving IGate so all mobile stations only need to use RELAY WIDE and
all
> home stations can use a direct path to the closest Receiving IGate. By
> reducing the path length you reduce RF traffic levels.
>
> The Transmitter IGate packets flow from roughly the centre to the edge
of
> the network. This means that a station at one end of the network will
see
> all traffic from the other end even though all paths are only local. (In
> effect we are using the Internet as a backbone traffic network)
>
> NOTE: It is Very Important that ONLY the Transmitter IGate is to use
INETZ
> Zoning.

Good explanation Richard. However I'll admit to being confused about one
thing myself - how do the INETZ* aliases help?

Do the receive-only IGATEs know something special about them? I notice
that they get replaced by VK3RMD-1 anyway so the receive only IGATEs
won't even see the INETZ* magic in the header.

73
Hamish