[OZAPRS] What's Happened to HF APRS in VK?

Brian Beamish bbeamish at bigpond.net.au
Sun Oct 12 18:02:32 EST 2003

Hi Richard

If VK4DMI is operating on 30m that is fine for VK3BYD-15 but certainly no
good for any near local (to VK4DMI) station operating mobile on 30m HF as
my limited knowledge there is no 30m station operating that VK4 has access
to.

VK4DMI as far as I am aware has moved to 40m 7.036 LSB (Cannot operate
7.039
LSB due to local interference) to allow more local VK4 HF Mobile stations
at least get some coverage.

We were starting to get some interest from a couple of local stations
prepared to come up on HF mobile but it looks like they have given up as
they were getting no where on 30m VK4DMI being far to close to them as the
signal/skip was going right over the top this is why he has been
considering
moving to and staying on 40m.

I feel though that once other 30m stations were operating VK4DMI would
consider moving to 30m again..

I personally would love to see a 30m network setup as it worked so good
during my 10 day trip south as far as Nowra and back the inland route,
with
both VK4 and VK3 on 30m I was tracked at least 95% if not more all the way
on the 3000km plus trip.

Hope you can get yours set up again soon.

B C N U
Brian VK4BBS