[OZAPRS] 70cm APRS - was there a verdict?

Grant Willis (VK5ZWI) Grant.Willis at internode.on.net
Sun Nov 9 23:51:08 EST 2003

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find out if there was a verdict on what
70cm frequency should be used for APRS in VK. Also, in deciding
this, was any thought given as to what baud-rate this frequency
should run at?

A couple of us in Adelaide are considering building a 9600 baud
70cm APRS WIDE digi and before I buy crystals, I would like some
certainty on this. Currently I am considering 439.100, assuming
that 439.175 is perhaps the 1200 baud channel? (and not wanting to
co-habit with this).

Also, why 9600 you might ask, well the Kenwood APRS ready radios
can all do 9600, and 9600 will better cope with the more rapid
mobile fading environment you find at 70cm. The lower incidences
of mobile electrical noise on 70cm might help things as well
when compared with 2m - esp with 9600 baud.

Regards,
Grant VK5ZWI