[OZAPRS] Tigertronics

Warren VK3BYD vk3byd at wia.org.au
Sat Nov 8 12:12:49 EST 2003

> > What I have found that whilst HF 300baud APRS works well it does
though
have
> > far more "Misses" than 1200buad on VHF if the HF beacons are set as I
> > believe Bob suggested to 30 Minutes and you "Miss" 2 or 3 times and
you
have
> > travelled over 100kms maybe 200kms and a couple of hours down the
road.
Miss
> > a couple on 1200baud locally maybe a minute of two and you are only a
couple
> > of kilometres in the city down the road.
>
> You are correct.  Probably if I was mobile and in motion and using HF, I
> would choose maybe a 5 minute rate if the channel sounded clear.  To be
> honest, I havent turned the radio volume up on my HF rig in years and
> dont konw how busy the 10.149.2 freq is...

It's not just the few hundred km's down the road but also the change in
propagation that can happen even when
you don't move.

I ran 3 min moving and 30 min when stopped and found I got very very few
beacons through
when stopped, but fixing the rate to 3 min gave more like 50 % through

73
Warren