[OZAPRS] 9600 packet in Melbourne

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 12 13:15:53 EST 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> This is slightly off-topic.. but can anyone tell me where to find
> 9600 packet activity in Melbourne, if any? Just want to test the
> FT-847/KPC-9612 on 9600.

PCsat flies over every day about 6 times everywhere on earth.  These
days, only passes in the afternnon have enough power to work.  But you
can receive a 9600 buad telemetry packet once a minute when it is in
view.

Back in 1998 when I first started playing with my Kenwood APRS D7 and
D700 radios (which can do 9600 baud), there were FIVE satellites, offering
over 30 opportunities a day for anyone anywhere to experiment.  UO22,
KO23, KO25, SUNSAT, OPAL,  and then PCSAT and briefly SAFIR .  Now all of
those are dead or dying..

But it was sure neat to just walk outside with an HT and watch packets fly
ANYWHERE you were for a test...

de WB4APR, Bob