[OZAPRS] aprs.net.au server to go offline

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Sun Mar 9 15:15:16 EST 2003

Hi Darryl,

Will the A record for aprs.net.au be changed to point to the same IP
address
as second.aprs.net.au points to (ie 203.17.15.167) ?

I currently have UI-VIEW configured to connect to "aprs.net.au:10153", and
won't need to change anythign, if the A record will indeed be taken care
of
at the DNS.  However, if "aprs.net.au" will temporarily (eg more than an
hour or two) disappear, then I need to change the "Setup | APRS Server
Setup
" part of UI-VIEW to connect to second.aprs.net.au

This will apply to others, as well.

------------

By the way, the "SOA Expire" time is set unusually low for aprs.net.au, at
60480 seconds; this means the entire domain can only survive the primary
DNS
being down for roughly 17 hours, before the secondaries expire all
entries.

A normal value (see RFC1912 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt) is
between
2 and 4 weeks, which makes for a robust DNS structure;  it's highly
unlikely
that the Primary DNS would be down for 2 weeks straight, although as
recent
unfortunate events have shown, it is possible that it can be down for
several days (and certainly for more than 17 hours!).

Therefore, I recommend that the SOA Expire timer is changed from 60480 to
2419200 seconds.

73 Chris vk6kch