[OZAPRS] VK3 APRS Guide

Richard Hoskin lhoskin at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 5 18:42:21 EST 2003

Hi Damien,

VK3YWY Digipeaters RELAY and WIDE only. It wont Digi WIDEn-n or TRACEn-n
and
does not pass IGate traffic. VK3YWY's main function is to extend the
networks reception area up the Calder hwy. This is also done to manage VK3
traffic levels.

Basically IGate traffic generated by VK3SB is sent east one hop from
VK3CV-1
and west three hops from VK3CV-1. Once again this is done in a way to best
manage RF traffic levels. There is no IGate feed to the north from VK3CV-1
as this generates too much traffic at VK3CV-1. We are working on getting
an
IGate in the north east of the state.

As the popularity of APRS has grown in VK3 so has the RF traffic levels.
If
RF traffic keeps growing at the rate it did before Christmas we (VK3) will
need to look closely at what can be done to allow expansion without
increasing RF traffic too much in the Melbourne area.

Options at this stage are:
1 - Educate operators to use good APRS operating practices as set out in
the
VK3 APRS Guide. (http://vk3.aprs.net.au/path.shtml)

2 - Reducing the IGated traffic to RF to VK3* and a few select VK2 and VK5
stations.
 (this would mean that anyone on APRS RF would only see VK3 traffic.
Messaging would not be effected).

3 - Reduce the Tx coverage area of the IGate. (This could mean installing
new IGates in a planed and controlled manner.)

4 - Set up a UHF network for VK* and fixed stations in the Melbourne area
and use VHF for mobile only stations in the Melbourne area. (UHF already
on
trial on 439.100Mhz in east Melbourne)

If anyone else has any good ideas or suggestions on RF traffic management
please voice them.

I know this goes beyond your original question but I though it would be
worth mentioning.

Cheers
Richard.
VK3JFK