[OZAPRS] TVI

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Sat Dec 13 09:35:02 EST 2003

Hi Hamish,

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having some problems with TVI from the IGATE station. (Stupidly)
> the 2m antenna is on top of the TV antenna. This has not been much of an
> issue because we have Foxtel but lately we have been using the antenna a
> bit more and the IGATE is even affecting digital TV reception to the
> digital TV tuner card in my PC. It looks like it is just overload; I
> thought it might be unclean signal (the radio is still a handheld)
> but I just tried transmitting fairly low power from the FT-847 and also
> had trouble.

Assuming you are using 75ohm coax, check that you have good clean
connections from the balun to the TV antenna..and the other conections.

Check for the interference using a TV, as the selectivity of the front
end of TV cards might be a bit sus.

(I use to TX 2W with handheld next to the TV antenna input on out (JVC)
TV and have no interference, and we were 40km from the TV transmitter)

> I have another antenna located a few metres away from the TV antenna
> but it has too much gain and even the FT-847 is badly affected by
> pagers. How resistent to pagers is the FM900? I have one which I'm
> not using and could put in, if it will cope with the pagers okay.

I don't think antenna gain is a problem. FM900 are a little wide from
what I've heard. FM828s have good front ends. Look for one of those.

Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv