[OZAPRS] ISS

Ray aprs at exemail.com.au
Mon Oct 19 07:44:47 AEDT 2020

Hey Terry,

I saw Sputnik back in 1957 at age 10. It could be considered to be the
first LEO satellite, and now there's at least hundreds of them! "It
achieved an Earth orbit with an apogee (farthest point from Earth) of
940 km (584 miles) and a perigee (nearest point) of 230 km (143 miles),
circling Earth every 96 minutes and remaining in orbit until January 4,
1958,"

On 18/10/20 8:54 pm, Terry, VK5ATN wrote:
> It's certainly working very well - quite a few new callsigns appearing
> on the list around the world - as well as here in OZ.
>
> As a bonus in SA we had an excellent visual treat this evening with
> the almost overhead pass just completed.   I'm possibly getting a bit
> unique in that I'm old enough to have seen the first ever moving star
> go overhead - the launch vehicle from Sputnik I back in October 1967.
>   Even now the magic of a visual pass of any of the birds is something
> special, and I never tire of it.  I looked on in awe again this
> evening - almost to the SE horizon. What an amazing times we live in.
>
> (Whoops! sorry - this is supposed to be technical - not philosophical)
Not entirely philosophical, we wouldn't be having this conversation
about ISS APRS if not for Sputnik.

> 73
> Terry
> VK5ATN