[OZAPRS] APRS from an airliner: keeping it simple

Darryl Smith darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri Feb 14 20:09:01 AEDT 2020

I often get GPS through the side window if I am flying commercially... always fun having OzRunways running and seeing where you are flying.

Flying GA, I always have GPS given the Perspex canopy above us. No in flight wifi, but on October we were amazed at how good mobile phone coverage was. We probably had coverage 75% of the time from Coober Pedy to Uluru... and we were only flying below 10,000’.

ADSB coverage was fairly good, although I don’t know what FlightRadar etc coverage was like.