[OZAPRS] VK3XCI -10 (-15)

Liz liz at billiau.net
Thu Dec 3 18:52:15 AEDT 2020

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 14:30:29 +1100
Norm McMillan <vk3xci at gmail.com> wrote:

> The remote Pi0W > Dire Wolf|rtl_fm > RTL-SDR proved too unreliable.
> for some reason rtl_fm or the dongle itself kept hanging up. It would
> run for weeks without a proble then drop out twice a day. Anyone got
> any ideas?

Yes. Stray EMF.

Living next to an industrial enterprise my RTL-SDR would lock up, need
not just rebooting the pine64 hardware, but dropping the power to the
dongle. That would mean physically pulling out the usb cables, and
power to the usb hub and the pine64.

New QTH, farmland. Been running from January to late November without
hanging up. Major storm on Saturday was the first dropout of the
RTL-SDR. Of course we were away at the time.

If you are going to have a remote device then something you can dial /
ssh into and cut the power for 10 secs to the SOC and RTL-SDR would be
needed. I recall looking for one but never getting one.

Liz
VK2XSE