[OZAPRS] WXSVR-AU

Jack Schultz jack at contrillion.com
Wed Oct 16 09:19:44 AEDT 2019

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

On the APRS network I use 3FJTS-07 as my 'callsign' - with my full call
included in the status text with every transmission.

The actual issue I am facing is a limitation imposed by Yaesu's firmware,
which doesn't allow APRS callsigns longer than 6 alpha-numeric characters,
plus the SSID (which can't be a letter). If a Standard or Advanced licensee
had the same radio (or a similar one), they'd also run into the same issue.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 9:11 AM David Uzzell <david at uzzell.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> You may well find that it is actually your callsign that is causing the
> problem as the WXSRV-AU is within the allowable AX25 specifications. The 7
> letter callsign for foundation licenses breaks the AX25 protocol and in the
> process  a lot of iGates, digipeaters etc.
>
> David
>

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:16 AM +1000, "Jack Schultz" <
> jack at contrillion.com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know of any shorter alias callsigns or similar for WXSVR-AU?
>>
>> My FT2D can only send messages to callsigns six characters or less (and
>> an SSID in the usual number format up to 15). The long callsign of the
>> weather bot makes it inaccessible to a large number of mobile/portable RF
>> (at least over AX.25) users, severely limiting its use for what is probably
>> the demographic of amateurs that would find it most helpful.
>>
>> Thanks all,
>> Jack Schultz VK3FJTS

Jack Schultz