[OZAPRS] Considerations For Setting Up an igate (RasPi)

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Wed Dec 18 13:10:20 AEDT 2019

Dang it I missed the charge efficiency of the VRLA battery below, increases
the size of the solar panel a bit more;

*"So based on the number of cloudy days vs sunny days and we assume 5 days
cloudy is worst case, then you need to recharge the battery (from flat) in
two days.   So in two days you need 96Wh to power the system and you need
360Wh to recharge the battery (240Wh * 1.5), so call it 460Wh in round
numbers.   Here we re-introduce the loss from the PWM controller, so
generation wise you need size your panels to generate 658Wh (460/.7).*

*So working this backwards you need a 165W solar panel (658Wh / 2 days / 2
hrs) and at least a 55Ah battery (685Wh  / 12.7) with a simple PWM charge
controller for a 2W continuous load.  A little bigger than you first
predicted."*

73

Matt
VK5ZM

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 at 12:20, Matthew Cook <vk5zm at bistre.net> wrote:

> [...]
> Ah.
>
> I've often thought about placing solar powered ARPS nodes along the
> highway between Tailem Bend and Keith here in VK5, seeing as I know a lot
> of the land holders in that region.  However when you put together what you
> need to buy it gets a little pricey fast.    If you are seriously thinking
> of putting those dorji modules on air take the time to protect them from
> out of band signals and clean up their output, they aren't pretty.   I've
> got a board you can tweak if interested here...
> https://zedm.net/archives/97.
>
> Hope the above helps with your solar Analysis, I've done this a time or
> two.  YMMV.
>
> 73
>
> Matt
> VK5ZM
>

> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 20:20, Marcus B <mrmabs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I think a WIDE1-1 might be good, but the transceiver board may not
>> be great at modulating audio.
>>
>> I might see if I can get a ladder onto the roof and mount it next to the
>> TV antenna mast. That would also resolve the power issue as well, but at
>> this stage I think roof access is unlikely. It's also a very old house, so
>> there are safety issues as well.
>>
>> Raspberry Pi Zero W power consumption is a little over 0.5W (running
>> direwolf may raise this slightly), the dorji board is about 0.2W on RX &
>> 2.5W at 1W RF TX and that's about it. This is from datasheets and people
>> who have measured these online. So all up, average should about 1W or
>> 24Wh/day, or 2W max or 48Wh/day. 12A 12V is about 144Wh, let's say 72 hours
>> to be conservative, and fixed 18W solar and minimum 9.75 hours of sunlight
>> in winter should get in the region of 50Wh/day. In really bad weather for a
>> few weeks, brownouts or blackouts are possible and without proper circuitry
>> to manage power state, the pi could go into an unknown state. To partially
>> tackle that, I would consider only having the SD card in read-only mode.
>>
>> And install, I would have to install it about the 2nd / 3rd Jan if I was
>> going to do it, I'm moving to VK4 and it'll be on my trip up to there.
>>
>> 73,
>> vk3tst / vk5wtf
>>
>> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 at 06:30, Warren_Brown <warbn at telstra.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Marcus,
>>>
>>> Yes I would have it transmit to VHF, you never know where it may get
>>> heard.
>>>
>>> I would consider a Wide1-1 Digi also, just to provide local feedback to
>>> anyone travelling through.
>>>

>>> As for antennas, any sort of gain would be good, whilst no real height
>>> gain a roof top mount may be more study than a telescopic mast that you’re
>>> only going to visit once in a blue moon.
>>>

>>> As for 12v power, the real killer will be the standby current, how much
>>> does the gear use when Idle?
>>>

>>> How long before you plan to install it?
>>>

>>> Another option would be a satellite APRS Gateway

>>> conditions. So there may be more traffic passing through than you might