[OZAPRS] "To" field

Jim Tittsler ZL2IA at OnNZ.net
Thu Oct 11 22:49:03 AEDT 2018

On 2018-10-11 05:49 PM, Norm McMillan wrote:
> Watching a number (quite a number!) of packets as I set up and fine tune
> things, something caught my eye. The first fiel in the string following
> the "from" callsign seems to change. I always thought this was generated
> by the TNC/Tracker .
> 2018-10-10 13:45:40 AEDT: VK3XCI-7>DEB1W0,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,VK3WRM-5:'F`cl#XK\]"4Y}Let the Good times Roll

The "destination callsign" field of a Mic-E formatted packet provides 7
bytes worth of the position information (mostly the latitude, with the
first part of the information/text field containing the rest of the
position) allowing a more compact, but less human-readable, reporting
format.
  ftp://www.tapr.org/projects/mic-edev/software/mic-e-proto.html

There are several software "decoders" that will translate a MIC-E packet
into a human-readable form if you want to examine the raw data stream.