[OZAPRS] Long term trending for route and network planning

Sam Wilson swilsonau at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 14:29:44 AEDT 2018

Ahoy list,

As we do at this time of year I've planned a road trip along a route with
hopefully more than no LTE coverage between VK2 and VK4.

But, we don't have a equal type tool for APRS and I've started
investigating to see if there are any tools out there that solve this
problem. So far I can't see anything that fills this space.

So I've started building a tool to capture and aggregate all position
reports from the APRS-IS then I can start massaging the data into something
useful.

My goal is to throw away as much data as possible keeping only a date, WIDE
path and position. This should enable us to overlay or query the data to
see where previous stations have made successful reports as well as where
black spots exist between repeaters or in terrain shadows. I'm envisaging
basically a three step "heard direct, 1 hop, 2 hop" type colouring on the
data.

Let me know if this sounds like something interesting or useful for you.

A related source of inspiration is the Strava global heatmap
https://www.strava.com/heatmap if you've not seen this sort of thing before.

73's

Sam
VK2GPL