[OZAPRS] Brisbane APRS

Carlos Peco-Berrocal carlos.peco at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 21:06:37 AEDT 2017

Hi Glen,

Yes, modern (reputable) radios tend to exhibit a very little deviation
at the beginning of the transmission. However, at the end of the day
you are after some sort of "uniqueness" and you don't need to know if
that little artifact was due to the synthesizer or due to some
transient in the audio chain.

And this is not unique to analog radios... as the OP mentioned, radios
doing AFSK in APRS can be uniquely identified. I also noticed that one
of my DMR radios (of a certain brand, probably due to the chipset they
use) transmits symbols out of the 4FSK constellation every now and
then, like if it had some internal overflow (observed in the eye
pattern as deviation well below and above the upper and lower symbol).
And some Chinese radios transmit a short subaudible tone at the end of
the transmission, like a 55 Hz roger beep (the same Chinese radios
will mute the received audio if someone transmits that sub-audible
tone)

And this is obvious but... if you tune to 145.175 you can find
straight away who is doing pre-emphasis and who is not, and who is
overdriving/underdriving the audio input, who has a faulty power
supply...

This SDR thing is great !