[OZAPRS] APRS- UI digi question

Josh vk2hff at vk2hff.ampr.org
Tue Oct 31 17:18:14 AEDT 2017

That's the way it *should* work, but there's a lot of different
implementations.
Most wide digis will only respond if the first non-depleated path in the
list matches one of its 'aliases', so setting a PATH like
'SYDNEY,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1' wouldn't get very far at all.
A path of WIDE2-1,WIDE1-1 can cause congestion because the WIDE2 digi
fills the first hop (not the WIDE1-1 part regardless of its aliases
because its the leftmost free hop),  then every fill-in digi in range of
the WIDE2 will try and fill the WIDE1-1...

Some digis will consume a matching alias that's not the first available
in the path, and what happens to the unused parts of the path to the
left varies between implementations as well.

Your example below is the same as specifying just WIDE2-2 (except it
caters for old TNCs that don't understand WIDEn) - two WIDE hops are
requested, and two are unused initially so will travel through two digis.

- Josh VK2HFF