[OZAPRS] Brisbane APRS

Carlos Peco-Berrocal carlos.peco at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 14:55:45 AEDT 2017

Hi Glen,

The transient at the beginning/end of the transmission is unique. I
even compared two portable radios and differences in battery level and
temperature made them drift differently during the transmission
period.

Those transients can be recorded and then new transmissions are
correlated with the entries in your database. There are standards for
that database so you can share fingerprints with "your mates".

I found a couple of photos, I don't know if the link to imgur will work:

https://imgur.com/a/kTJ4S

That repeater was off frequency few hertzs, you can see the vertical
pink lines (markers).

The last image was HF, there are lots of interesting details in the waterfalls.

If you monitor Canberra Approach you'll see the air traffic controller
in the center (GPS disciplined radio from some Germans you know) with
the aircraft appearing at the sides. The automatic simultaneous
transmission detection available in the current generation of ATC
radios from the same German brand exploits that: if two simultaneous
transmissions occur, it is highly likely that their instantaneous
frequencies will be few hertz apart so they will appear as two peaks
in the FFT of the complex envelope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y983aZelEkM

Back in the days of CB27 in AM you could hear a beating tone when two
transmissions happened at the same time and had power levels in the
same range (if one transmission is MUCH stronger than the other,
you'll hear nothing but the strongest transmission).

Sorry for the long post, I hope you find it interesting. Happy to take
some toys to your place so you can tinker a bit with this.

cheers
Carlos VK1EA