[OZAPRS] on pilot tones and freq references

Glen English VK1XX glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au
Mon Nov 20 06:51:25 AEDT 2017

In general, I would say >95%, the 19kHz pilot tones of a FM radio
station are free running, derived from a nothing special crystal. Don't
expect better than +/- 50 ppm.

>From 1970 to ~ 1992 stereo generators were analog type , xtal derived
+/- 100ppm, but usually within +/- 1Hz (+/- 52 ppm)

When digital signal processing based audio processing began to appear,
the 19kHz pilot was being derived from the sample rate clock. This is
usually better than at least +/-25ppm.

In the 2000s there has been a gradual move in the very most advanced and
newest cap city stations to fully integrated audio chains from digital
consoles to digital modulation FM transmitters, with the audio processor
being fed by AES/EBU, however there is still an asynchronous sample rate
converter and the 19kHz clock is likely to be still supplied by a +/-
25ppm oscillator.
In some cases the FM modulator/transmitter is locked to a GPS, however
this is generally asynchronous with respect to the input sample rate
(and hence 19kHz pilot) because of the restrictions on SR in the modulator.

There is no required accuracy for 19 kHz pilot to function, as receivers
have a VCO in their FM demodulator that gets locked to the incoming
19kHz tone, and used to demodulate the DSB 38kHz stereo signal (which is
AM- being DSB).

There are no easy good off air sigs. If you can demodulate (despread)
the CDMA signal of 3.84Mcps this is probably the best source.

But that's if you want Hz, but most people with their radio probably are
just happen with 100Hz at 100 MHz, which is 1ppm. You can get that with
a half decent off the shelf reasonably aged TCXO or OCXO.

The DVBT  (digital TV) signals that are in single frequency networks are
locked to the GPS, if you can figure out how to demod those, they will
be excellent.

The GPS locked ham beacons are an excellent option.

-Glen.