[OZAPRS] UHF APRS freqs in VK

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Wed Nov 15 11:03:06 AEDT 2017

Yes.   It helps if you start with commercial grade equipment and don't use
cheap notch based diplexers or broadband devices to achieve your
isolation.  There is no substitute for Q, so using decent tuned bandpass
(inc notch) with correctly phased jumpers and an isolator on the output
goes along way to achieving the > 100dB necessary.   We've had to do this
at all our sites here in VK5 to ensure we're good RF neighbours with the
co-located commercial services.

This UHF allocation problem is no different from co-locating a 145.175MHz
service with an analog voice repeater 800kHz up the band.   With the new
1.6MHz split it gets even more exciting.   There is argument for going back
up high to 147.575 but I'm going to keep quiet on that issue, the band
police will be out for my blood.

I agree the allocation doesn't make it easy, but it's not impossible either.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM