[OZAPRS] VK2RHR-1 raw

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Wed Nov 15 10:51:38 AEDT 2017

I'd be suggesting that VK2RHR-1 is an older APRS implementation (possibly a
TNC-2 clone with UI-DIGI or Kantronics TNC) than VK1RGI.   If you watch the
asterisk that is telling you what's happening.

The old WIDEn-N technique was to decrement N and insert the digi callsign,
when -0 was achieved to append WIDEn* to show it has been terminated.  The
new WIDEn-N technique is to drop the WIDEn* on the end and simply use the
Callsign of the digi terminated with an asterisk.

So in your example VK2RHR-1 has used the old digipeter method and VK1RGI-1
has used the new, , *both are still valid !!!*

There were flame wars on the APRS TAPR mailing list over this issue for
many years, the argument was the WIDEn* on the end was redundant and the
newer method was more efficient....  however legacy equipment meant it was
difficult (read people reluctant) to change, that horse had bolted.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM