[OZAPRS] LoRA tracking

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Wed Nov 8 10:46:51 AEDT 2017

You've got to be careful with the Oz LIPD bands in that you read the LIPD
schedules carefully...  both frequency and maximum EIRP are limited by
application and/or modulation.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2015L01438

Here's the relevant sections (third column is EIRP not output power Px/Py).

*Transmitters for non-specific purposes;*

20

All transmitters

915–928

3 mW

*Frequency Hopping WiFi & RLAN transmitters*

54

Frequency hopping transmitters

915–928

1 W

A minimum of 20 hopping frequencies must be used.

58

Digital modulation transmitters

915–928

1 W

(a)    The radiated peak power spectral density in any 3 kHz must not
exceed 25 mW per 3 kHz.

(b)   The minimum 6 dB bandwidth must be at least 500 kHz.

*Radiofrequency Identification (RFID)*

43

Radiofrequency identification transmitters

(b)   918–926

1 W

45

Radiofrequency identification transmitters

920–926

4 W

(a)    The transmitter must comply with the instrument known as ISO/IEC
18000-6c.

(b)   Emissions in the band below 917.75 MHz must be no greater than
–37 dBm EIRP.

(c)    Emissions above 926 MHz must be no greater than
–33 dBm EIRP.

(d)   The transmitter must not be used unless more than 1 W EIRP is
necessary to achieve satisfactory system performance.

So you can build an VSB ATV modulator with an output power of 3mW (#20) and
use it on air after you have applied for your (free) class license.  You
can put in commercial (A-tick approved) point to point FHSS links on
915-928 with 1W EIRP (#54), so a 6dB colinear/beam with 20m of RG58
(*grin*) and the output power of 0.5W does the trick... you can even run
point to point or multi-point data networks (RLAN) using LoRA modules at
full output (25mW) on 915-928 (#58), however if you decide to up the output
power at all watch the associated spectral requirements it's not 1W for a
chirp modulation scheme.

The people developing RFID products have a sub-band of 918-926MHz within
the traditional 915-928MHz ISM band, I see this confusion all the time and
a lot of mis-information.  The ACMA legislation will point you at the
Comlaw site and should be peoples first stop when looking at what they can
and can't do with RF spectrum in Australia, it's relatively straight
forward.

If you do end up with American equipment that's on 902-928MHz expect a
visit from the ACMA since you'll be hammering Vodaphone and Optus LTE
networks and hunted down like a rabbed dog.
I hope that clears up the confusion...

If only the WIA could open up the opportunity for Amateurs in Australia
like Region 2 enjoy.. (*sigh*).

73

Matthew
VK5ZM