[OZAPRS] RGI digi too big a coverage ?

Peter VK2MPJ vk2mpj at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 6 21:44:35 AEDT 2017

I’ll prefix the following with things may have changed and people may have fiddled… But I was apart of the group who wrote the original config for both RGI-1 and RBM-1, along with a few other digits in the SENSW area.

I’ll jot some down some dot points that may be relevant, or may not. Take or leave it as you please.

The below was all done, with the intent to be compliant with the “New Paradigm” as specified by WB4APR.

* The intent behind RGI-1 in it’s last known config, was for it to be a central hinge pin for the area known as “SENSW”, is location and coverage was ideal for this. From memory, Digi’s such as VK2AMW-3 (Nerriga), VK2MPJ-1 (Nowra), VK2TVZ-1 (Cooma), VK2RWG-1 (Wagga), and another down Ulladulla way (perhaps, not 100% sure on that) were all apart of. At the time, we attempted to contact the Goulburn club to bring their digi into the fold, but had no joy with their co-operation. We did work with IARS and some key players in Syd to ensure co-operation between their set up. I believe the Sydney network was “SYD"

* We lost site access to 2MPJ-1 with no communication that it was going to happen. It has gone off air, for reasons unknown and to my knowledge we cannot get in there anymore (rather annoying, as it was my equipment). 2TVZ-1 always had issues with beaconing, but was there and would digi-peat if it heard traffic, unknown if it is even there anymore. 2AMW-3 was on a property out at Nerriga of the now sk 2TSB, the property is now owned by another HAM, but suffered some significant damage during a severe weather event.

* At one point, there was intent to install Fill-in digi in the Griffith and Bethungra as well as a full digi out the Young areas. But those plans fell by the wayside as life got in the road. Over time, other Digis have been installed in those locations.

* The intent behind RBM-1 was for it to essentially be a fill-in digi, aka WIDE1-1 to fill some gaps that RGI-1 had locally.

* VK1NPW ran the main iGate for the area with VK1KCM running the back up, with automatic fail over between the two. With 1NPW moving out of the ACT, I believe this left 1KCM running the sole iGate. There were a small number of “rx only” iGates scattered around the region. But this changed over time, with a few people “freelancing” their own set-ups without first attempting to consult such as happening now. The idea of “rx only” iGates, was they provided assured coverage for feed into the APRS-IS system which can deal with and suppress dupes. Where as having TX iGates, there was an issue with dupes all over the RF network from multiple gates transmitting the same information creating congestion.

* Mobiles should be running WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 as per the recommendations of the “New Paradigm” with either smart beaconing (questionable) or fixed rate no less than 30sec between packets.

* From memory, I think fixed stations should have been using “SENSW”.

* When I last configured 1RGI-1 and 1RBM-1, both would beacon at intervals with information for users such as contact information and what correct paths they should be using etc.

* If it is of use, I think I have a network map of all the interconnects, ie, what digis could see what, and what iGates were what. I also think I have the config files here somewhere.

Again, this is all information that is from several years ago, and from my dusty memory. To my knowledge not much has changed. If it helps fill in some history holes then great. If it is all guff that is useless, then feel free to hit the delete key :)

73
de Pete
VK1NFI / VK2MPJ