[OZAPRS] APRS- UI digi question NEUTBAY

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Thu Nov 2 10:21:25 AEDT 2017

Dave,

Yes that packet being sent by VK2BV is correct, so nothing to worry about
there.  I'm wondering if there are any Kantronics KPC-3's TNC's in that
part of the world being used as or in digipeters?    They have a known
software bug where they corrupt packets mashing callsigns and contents
together and then retransmitting them up to 30 minutes delayed.  These
things have caused *a lot* of trouble in various networks until eliminated.

So looking at what Glen has received to me it's the front half of one
packet with a valid path mashed with the contents of your packet
frankensteined together.  If such a packet did escape onto RF then there is
no way to prevent it from being digi'd and it's not a configuration
problem.

The worst part is you won't know who the offender is since VK2NR and your
NEUTBAY WX are innocent bystanders in this regard.   You need to hunt these
things down via RF and being local, so if you have OP's that can log then
you can narrow things down.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM