[OZAPRS] HF APRS Net Stations

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Jan 24 07:43:56 AEDT 2017

Mal,

When I ran a HF gateway I set the radio dial appropriate for the TNC
tones and that was it. I use USB even though either sideband can be used
with the appropriate dial offset. I occasionally used a waterfall
display in Digipan (I think) to look at the frequency of other signals.
As somebody else said, don't drive the tx into ALC. I don't know what
gear you'll be using but I always used KISS TNCs for the gateway and
found some txtail time was required. Txtail is a KISS parameter you can
read about elsewhere, but from memory I used 40mS. TXD needs to be set
higher than for VHF packet (aprs) - I used 400mS.

My gateway had 20m, 30m, and 40m, radio ports, and 30m walks ALL over
the other two. For the 30m BBS prior to me going to aprs I had links to
some parts of Oz (at about 1000km) for 22 hours a day.

Ray vk2tv