[OZAPRS] HF APRS -2

Carlos Peco-Berrocal carlos.peco at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 10:27:54 AEDT 2017

Can you still use external sound cards with the Tinkerboard ?
What if you cook the internal one ?

cheers
Carlos

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017, Matthew Cook <vk5zm at bistre.net> wrote:
> Cool.. well that means I've got a suitable test bed ready and waiting.
> The receiver I've got lined up has a full rockwell collins 3kHz IF filter
(not 2k7 or 2k4 like most japanese radios) so that should work nicely.
> Time to start working out how to get the levels and drive right,
something for me to do over xmas.
glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au> wrote:

>> The original would run about 3kHz search window at full 'gain' on a C1
(quad A5).

>> The XU4 would smoke it at 10kHz BW. The out of order reordering CPU
really smokes. but it also smokes the power supply.

>> The C2 would run a 10kHz search window IRRC.
>>
>> I have some TV boxes with RK3288s and they also are excelllent processor.
>>
>> good on the internal sound card.
>>
>> code currently only uses the 2010 grade NEON, not the new v8 NEON
AArch-64 etc on the A53 etc .

>> On 19/12/2017 9:39 AM, Matthew Cook wrote:
>>>
>>> It will be interesting to see how this code goes on different platforms.
>>>
>>> I've been looking at the Odroids C2 (quad A53 @1.5GHz), C1+ (quad
A5 at 1.5GHz) & XU4 (quad A15 at 2.1GHz + quad A7 at 1.4GHz) there is no doubt the
XU4 has some serious grunt.

>>> However the ASUS Tinkerboards I've got at home have a RK3288 which is a
quad A17 running at 1.8GHz also featuring a Neon Co-pro! So on paper this
should give the C1+ and C2 Odroids a bloody nose in a MIPS fight or at
least a run for their money.

>>> What I really like about the Tinkerboards is they have an inbuilt sound
card (192kHz)/24bit) for both record (microphone) and playback (stereo out)
for the same money as an Odroid.   So that would just leave me needing to
build a suitable PTT circuit with h/w timeout.

>>> It will be interesting to see just how hard I can push one of these
Tinkerboards, for ~A$85 delivered to VK they seem good value.

glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au <mailto:glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au>> wrote:

> [...]
point.

>>>     This permits multiple use of a channel. a sideband channel can fit
>>>     alot of 50Hz or 100 Hz wide signals, and the demod is designed to
>>>     deal with it. I would say the end performance is something like
>>>     PSK31 but with reduced SNR requirements. You can push it right
>>>     down to 0dB SNR but the demodulator ends up spending a bunch of
>>>     time in stage 2 attempting to demod candidates that are really
>>>     noise ... CPU requirements increase.
>>>

>>>     On 18/12/2017 10:04 PM, Matthew Cook wrote:
>>>
>>>         That interface card is hideously expensive for what it is;
>>>
>>>         Other options;
>>>
>>>           * The wolfson sound card is less than a third that price
>>>         including
>>>             shipping from E14, however a syba USB sound card is less
>>>         than $5
>>>             from eBay.
>>>           * PTT is just a transistor of an I/O pin, preferably with a
h/w
>>>             monostable timer to prevent locking the transmitter on; I
>>>         still
>>>             don't trust Pi's with 100Wpep of HF present, box or no box.
>>>
>>>         Personally I'll be trying a Tinkerboard first since it has
>>>         onboard microphone and audio, more grunt that a Pi-3, wifi,
>>>         BT, I/O and serial ports. In my case I can read the GPS from
>>>         within the HF transceiver, which is already shared three times
>>>         in the back of the car already.
>>>
>>>         However will still experiment with STM32 option since this
>>>         would make a very nicely integrated option in the new year.
>>>
>>>         73
>>>
>>>         Matthew
>>>         VK5ZM
>>>

>>>         On 18 December 2017 at 20:57, Mark Jessop
>>>         <lenniethelemming at gmail.com
>>>         <mailto:lenniethelemming at gmail.com>
>>>         <mailto:lenniethelemming at gmail.com
>>>         <mailto:lenniethelemming at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             David Giddy has reminded me off-list of the existence of the
>>>             UDRC-II: http://nwdigitalradio.com/product/udrc/
>>>         <http://nwdigitalradio.com/product/udrc/>
>>>             <http://nwdigitalradio.com/product/udrc/
>>>         <http://nwdigitalradio.com/product/udrc/>>
>>>
>>>             This is pretty much what I was looking for, with the
>>>         exception of
>>>             the onboard GPS. A little bit pricier than I was hoping
>>>         for, but
>>>             time vs money and all that...
>>>             Would require a bit of coding to make whatever modem Glen
>>>         writes
>>>             key to the relevant GPIO pins, but hey - open source, and
>>>         I'm more
>>>             than happy to write and test code :-)
>>>
>>>             73
>>>             Mark VK5QI
>>>
>>>             On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:35 PM, Mark Jessop
>>>             <lenniethelemming at gmail.com
>>>         <mailto:lenniethelemming at gmail.com>
>>>         <mailto:lenniethelemming at gmail.com
>>>         <mailto:lenniethelemming at gmail.com>>>
>>>             wrote:
>>>
>>>                 Given the cost of boards like the Raspberry Pi Zero,
>>>         and other
>>>                 similar boards, I don't see it being targeted at
ARM-NEON

https://core-electronics.com.au/pimoroni-phat-dac-for-raspberry-pi-zero.html