[OZAPRS] SatGate around VK7?

Mark Jessop lenniethelemming at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 09:56:35 AEDT 2017

Unless you apply some serious weatherproofing, an arrow antenna is probably
not a good idea for a long-term outdoor install. Keep the arrow antenna for
portable ops and either build or buy something else to go on the rotator.

I've been using a turnstile for my 2m SatNOGS ground station (also a
SatGate) for a while, and that works just fine for APRS from the ISS. It
doesn't perform amazingly well below 20 degrees elevation, but it's
definitely usable.
The turnstile I'm using is from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-of-2-antennas-turnstile-crossed-dipole-RHCP-2m-and-70cm-N-connector/292347719120?hash=item4411482dd0:g:Ry0AAOSw8gVYBd1P

My only gripe with it is the spacing of the elements could have been a bit
larger, for a more hemispherical pattern. As it is, it has a bit of an
upwards lobe, hence the degraded performance at low elevation angles.

I thought you built a turnstile - why not use that for the SatGate, i'm
sure it would perform just fine. Maybe put a filtered preamp on it to eke
out a bit more performance.

73
Mark VK5QI