[OZAPRS] Roll Call - SAT GATES

Mark Jessop lenniethelemming at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 20:33:43 AEST 2017

I can reliably get into the ISS digipeater with 5 watts from my handheld -
into a 3-element handheld yagi. (and if I remember to set the correct
path...)
I also managed to get into the LilacSat-1 FM-to-Codec2 transponder using
50mW of FM into the same antenna.

Yes, if you are using an antenna not really designed for satellite
operations (pointable, or at least circularly polarised to get over
polarisation mismatch issues), then you will need higher powers to make up
for the losses.

There have been rumblings of putting a SatGate into a site on top of the
Adelaide hills, but it hasn't happened yet. I can't guarantee mine is going
to be that effective, so the more the merrier I think.

73
Mark VK5QI