[OZAPRS] Mine's bigger than yours (?)

Liz liz at billiau.info
Fri Aug 4 20:17:07 AEST 2017

QTR Fri, 4 Aug 2017 08:15:29 +1000 vk2tv QTC

> On 03/08/17 19:22, Liz wrote:
> > QTR Thu, 3 Aug 2017 08:52:36 +1000 vk2tv QTC
> >
> >> A useful test is to run a path profile program such as SPLAT! in
> >> Line Of Site (LOS) mode to reveal just what gets in the way for
> >> various antenna heights.
> >>
> >> Here's a useful radar horizon calculator ...
> >> http://members.home.nl/7seas/radcalc.htm
> > I have a harmonic who is a surveyor
> > I just ask him to do those calculations for me. So I know that the
> > nearest weather radar sees 60m above us, helps me to work out risk
> > of getting rained on cycling in and out of work
> >

> > -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> > Liz
> > VK2XSE
> >
> That's using your noggin!
>
> My first introduction to the earths curvature and calculation to
> allow for it came years before the first PC or the internet via a
> surveyor at work. Looking back, I might have enjoyed being a surveyor.
>
> Ray vk2tv

Same surveyor (VK2FNAD) has advised me that we need to get within 100mm
of the height of the tanks to see a plane 11km high at 250km distance.
Now for the social engineering, starting discussion with the owners of
the tanks about useful items attached to them.....