[OZAPRS] ISS Packet system down....

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Aug 1 13:11:03 AEST 2017

Yes, and I've dabbled with it, but I had the old hardware gathering
dust. My USB sound device doesn't play well with the Pi and it's not
worth (for me) buying more USB sound devices.

I've not compared myself but I've read that the Exar 2211 FSK decoder in
the original TNC2 decodes better than the TCM3105 chip in the Tiny 2. I
ran a number of Baycom (serial port) style modems using the TCM3105 for
a while and they were a bit ordinary. However, my Baycom USCC>4 card
also uses the TCM3105 ( in a very similar circuit to the humble Baycom
modem) and it walked all over the serial port Baycom style modems. I
think the vastly improved timing of the USCC card was responsible for
the outstanding performance improvement. When my shack is set up again
I'm going to compare the USCC card performance with Direwolf. It's one
comparison the author of Direwolf hasn't published. Watch this space.

Ray vk2tv

On 01/08/17 12:53, Andrew Rich wrote:
> Have you seen that direwolf decodes way more packets than an average tnc

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 1 Aug 2017, at 12:50 pm, vk2tv <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>>

>>> On 01/08/17 12:17, Liz wrote:
>>>
>>> you say you just have windowsXP. For a very small price a RTL-SDR
>>> receiver, a suitable antenna and a current microcomputer (eg RPi) would
>>> build you a complete iGate which won't cost much to run, and need an
>>> occasional restart.
>>> Just another experiment....
>>>
>>> I'm currently using a RTL-SDR and a Pine64 to watch the ADS-B traffic,
>>> with a collinear antenna built from scrap coax. That's another fun
>>> experiment.

>>> Liz
>>> VK2XSE