[OZAPRS] ISS Packet system down....

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Aug 1 12:50:29 AEST 2017

On 01/08/17 12:17, Liz wrote:

> you say you just have windowsXP. For a very small price a RTL-SDR
> receiver, a suitable antenna and a current microcomputer (eg RPi) would
> build you a complete iGate which won't cost much to run, and need an
> occasional restart.
> Just another experiment....
>
> I'm currently using a RTL-SDR and a Pine64 to watch the ADS-B traffic,
> with a collinear antenna built from scrap coax. That's another fun
> experiment.
>

> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> Liz
> VK2XSE

I agree, but why the occasional reboot?

My RPi with RTL dongle for ADS-B currently has an uptime of 125 days,
and has been sending data to PlaneFinder for 70 days. Give the RPi a
decent power supply and it will run for forever!

My previous (and soon to be again) APRS satgate used a Pi driving a
four-port FTDI USB/RS232 adaptor to drive an old TNC (Tiny 2) and the
old Icom IC-2 handheld for 145.825. That arrangement ran for months
without a reboot, and gave the old Icom a new purpose in life.

Ray vk2tv