[OZAPRS] Rasbian

Kim VK5FJ vk5fj at hawtin.net.au
Thu Jun 30 13:47:49 AEST 2016

Hi Andrew,

On 29/06/16 20:38, Andrew Rich wrote:
> Ubuntu ?
>
> Why
>
> All the tutorials are about raspian

I think you will find the original rationale was that most raspberry pis
would be deployed headless. Despite that the project aim was to build a
BBC Micro/Commodore64 like experience for our youth...

Ubuntu focuses mostly on the desktop and GUI apps.

while a fair share will be used to plug into a TV or similar, I expect a
whole lot more will be functioning as embedded IO.

Would be interesting to see the proportion of the downloads to different
distributions, versus what is actually running im the wild.

Ultimately Ubuntu is for modern laptops. It is no longer a good fit for
small memory machines, IMHO.

regards,

Kim VK5FJ