[OZAPRS] New Raspbian thread

Kim VK5FJ vk5fj at hawtin.net.au
Mon Jul 4 19:23:51 AEST 2016

Norm,

On 03/07/16 09:15, Norm McMillan wrote:
> OK,
>
> the Rpi runs, VK3WRM is up and running and now to stick it at the bottom
> of the garden, so to speak.
>
> Alas, when I try to TightVNC to it, I can only get the :1 and not the :0
> active window. I can understand why, but is there a fix?
>
> I want it to eventually be a headless system wombling along by itself
> away from my shack, probably Solar powered and out of sight out of mind.

If you would like to run headless *and* have X Windows GUI applications
continuously running, perhaps you can use XPRA;

sudo apt-get update && apt-cache search xpra

get in the habbit of updating from the remote repository, that way you
won't end up trying to install old packages.

Anyhow, XPRA effectively allows you to connect to an X windows server
running in the background, that is not on the console. its a bit like
using ssh to connect to a remote linux box and running all your
CLI/terminal applications in screen or tmux. very handy.

regards,

Kim VK5FJ